With bushfires and smoke continuing to affect large areas of NSW and Victoria, please take care.
Here’s some tips about ways to protect yourself from the smoke:
- Follow your doctor’s advice about medicines and your asthma management plan if you have one. Keep your medication close at hand. Consult your CF clinic if symptoms worsen.
- Avoid vigorous activity outdoors.
- Stay indoors where possible and keep doors and windows shut to keep the smoke out.
- Avoid indoor sources of air pollution like cigarettes, candles and incense sticks.
- Disposable P2/N95 face masks (also known as P2/N95 respirators) are able to help reduce exposure to bushfire smoke. You can get them from hardware stores or safety equipment suppliers. Please check with your CF clinic before using one as they can make it more difficult to breathe.
- If you are using an air purifier, make sure it has a high efficiency particle air (HEPA) filter, filters fine particles, and you are following the operating instructions carefully.
There is more information on these sites: